This is a brief overview of construction operations and impacts for the North Washington Street Bridge Replacement Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
• The full closure of the navigational channel will begin at 6:00 a.m. on Monday, 10/04 and on Friday, 10/08 at 5 p.m. The closure will assist in installing structural steel for the new bridge deck.
• Following the full closure there will be smaller, half channel closures to install elements of a new bridge deck throughout the month of October.
• Boaters should continue to exercise caution while transiting the channel and pay close attention to signage, lighting, and work vessels. As stated in the United States Coast Guard’s Local Notice to Mariners, boats transiting the bridge should monitor VHF channel 13 which allows communication and coordination with construction vessel.
Slip Lane Closure
• The planned closure of the slip lane from North Washington Street to Chelsea Street is targeted to occur in mid-October. The space that was used for the slip lane will be converted into part of the work zone and the movement to Chelsea Street processed as a standard, 90-degree right turn. More information will be provided when a date is set.
Description of Scheduled Work
• Building the piers:
Pier 1 (closest to the North End): Grout work, installing rebar, and concrete pour
Pier 2: Grout work, form initial infill, and install rebar
Pier 3: Set bearings Grout work, installing rebar, and concrete pour
Pier 4: Complete
Pier 5 (closest to Charlestown): Complete
• Installing, moving, and maintaining silt curtains and barges in the water
• Prep work to install utilities
• Installing temporary bents for steel erection
• Warehouse Pier and Column Repairs
• Steel erection on-going
• Most work will be done during the daytime (6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Work That Has Been Completed
• Pier 3: Rebar installation and concrete pour
• Work continues to complete piers 1, 2, and 3
The sidewalk over the temporary bridge and the Lovejoy Wharf stairs near Converse are open. The Boston Harborwalk under the bridge and eastern/harborside bridge sidewalk remain closed until rebuilt.
The Tudor Wharf Walkway (under the bridge next to the water in Paul Revere Park) will be intermittently closed for safety during construction operations, with access provided via the Water Street underpass.
Drivers should take care to pay attention to all signage and move carefully through the work zone. Police details, lane markings, temporary barriers, traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used to control traffic and create safe work zones.
For your awareness, the following events are scheduled during this look-ahead period:
• BRUINS: 10/2, 10/6, and 10/16 at 7:00 p.m.
• CELTICS: 10/4 at 7:30 p.m. and 10/9 at 7:00 p.m.