Charlestown’s weekly COVID-19 positive test rate decreased for a second week in a row according to the latest data released on Friday by the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC).
According to the BPHC report, last week 568 residents were tested and 4 percent were positive. This was a 13 percent decrease from the 4.6 percent that tested positive two Fridays ago. Between April 2 and April 9 the weekly rate spiked 97 percent and went from 3.4 percent to 6.7 percent.
According to the weekly report, of the 14,944 Charlestown residents tested for the virus since the pandemic began 9.2 percent were found to be positive by last Friday. This was the same percentage reported by the BPHC two Fridays ago.
Citywide, the weekly positive test rate decreased for another week and is now well below the 5 percent threshold.
With COVID numbers declining Acting Mayor Kim Janey announced Tuesday that the City of Boston will move into a modified version of the state’s current phase of the Reopening Massachusetts plan, effective Friday, April 30.
However, according to Janey, Boston will delay most of the state’s reopening guidance by three weeks, in an effort to accommodate the unique preparations needed by the City.
In late March, the City announced that it would not move forward with additional reopening steps until the citywide positivity rate remained at or below 2.75 percent for two consecutive weeks. It is currently at 3.6 percent.
Janey said the latest modified update will support Boston’s economic recovery as COVID-19 health metrics continue to improve.
“In every aspect of Boston’s reopening, we will take the right measures, at the right time, to protect our people and businesses,” said Janey. “As we look ahead to better days, we must remember that the COVID-19 pandemic is not over. Reopening our economy does not remove our personal and collective responsibility to remain vigilant. Thank you to all Bostonians for your continued efforts and cooperation as we reopen our city.”
Below are the modified plans that go into effect this week:
Effective Friday, April 30, the City of Boston will align with Commonwealth’s updated Face Coverings Order. This states that face coverings will be required at all times at indoor and outdoor venues and events, except when eating or drinking. Face coverings are recommended to be worn both inside and outside during small gatherings at private homes. Face coverings are not required outside in public spaces when individuals are able to remain at a safe distance from others.
Also effective April 30, public gatherings in Boston may increase to 100 people indoors and 150 people outdoors, in alignment with the Commonwealth’s previously announced limits. In Boston, all private gatherings and events in private residences will remain subject to current capacity limits of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors. However, public and private gathering limits will increase to 200 people indoors and 250 people outdoors on June 19 in Boston, three weeks after the higher limits go into effect in other parts of the Commonwealth. The City of Boston and the Boston Public Health Commission will continue to closely monitor public health data and adjust reopening plans as necessary.
The BPHC data released last Friday showed Charlestown’s infection went from 691.7 cases per 10,000 residents to 705.1 cases per 10,000 residents–a 2 percent increase.
An additional 26 residents became infected with the virus last week bringing the total to 1,369 confirmed cases in the neighborhood.
The statistics released by the BPHC as part of its weekly COVID19 report breaks down the number of cases and infection rates in each neighborhood. It also breaks down the number of cases by age, gender and race. Citywide positive cases of coronavirus increased 1.7 percent percent last week and went from 67,685 cases to 68,885 confirmed cases in a week. Four additional Boston residents died from the virus last week and there are now 1,364 total deaths in the city from COVID