Thank You to all
We are grateful to all who helped us celebrate our Thirty-Fourth Annual Halloween Parade on Thursday night, 5 p.m., Oct. 31, 2019. Charlestown is a remarkable community with collaborators who make our Halloween a safe, fun, memorable, inclusive and wonderful holiday for all:
The National Park Service Superintendent Michael Creasey, John C. Curwen, Julia Mize and the NPS Rangers; The City of Boston Mayor Martin J Walsh; Boston City Councilors Lydia Edwards, Michelle Wu, Annissa Essaibi George; The Boston Parks and Recreation, Boston Special Events, Boston Transportation, Boston Office of Economic Development, Boston Police Department.
Thank you to the generous residents of The Monument Square area and the surrounding streets, and all who support and / or participate in our special celebration:
We were amazed by the Charlestown Pirates Cove, created by Dominick Doyle, with fellow Pirates Cary Lynch, Deanne Horn, Kim Molino, Kristen Laverty, Bret Samboy, Petra Hoffman, Abir Haidar, and Danielle Nevens.
• _DC Beane
• _Boston Portfolio Properties
• _The Bubble Guy
• _Bunker Hill Associates
• _Bunker Hill Mall/ New England Development
• _Disc Jockey Smokey (Michael) Cain
• _Cambridge Savings Bank, Jane Gricci and CSB Team
• _JoAnn Carragel
• _Frank Celeste
• _CharlestownDogs, Chris Lovell and the CDogs Team
• _Charlestown Marina
• _Charlestown Mothers Association
• _Charlestown Wizard Jim Duane and Michelle Duane
• _Diversified Automotive
• _Dunkin Donuts
• _Lynne and Rick Enos and the Baby Sharks
• _Jay Farraher and Lila Barbuto
•Ben on the Bike
•Retired NPS Bill Foley, for the 34th year
• _Tom Fortier and Duncan Donahue
• _Friends of The Charlestown Navy Yard
• _Harvest on the Vine, Anne Kelliher, Toby Goldstein and Tom MacDonald
• _James Hauser
• _Elizabeth and Peter Hay
• _H. David Hennessey
• _Ed Katz, Larry Rinaldi, and Arthur Colpack,
• _Rosemary Kverick “Mother Goose”
• _“The Good Witch” Elissa Ladd and the Wizard of Oz Team
• _Paul C. Lane as Colonel Prescott
• _Logan Condo Association
• _1812 Marines
• _MGH IHP “Super Heroes”
• _Monument Square and neighborhood streets residents
• _Disc Jockey Ryan Murphy
• _Peabody Properties
• _Jane & Eric Philippi
• _Tammy and Tom Resor
• _Michael LePage as Paul Revere
• _Jordan Rich and Roberta Sydney
• _Betty Stump
• _Teal Pumpkin, Emilie Baker
• _Thompson Square Associates
• _Tony Barrie Marching Band
• _Turn Style Cycle
• _Whole Foods
• _Olga Zagarova
• _USS Constitution Navy Volunteers
Congratulations on a beautiful day at the Training Field with appreciation to
• _The Friends of The Training Field and President Billy Kelly
• _Doug MacDonald and his team for the Inflatables
• _Tom Coots and The Cooperative Bank team
• _The Charlestown High School Band
With Gratitude to all!
Next year, Halloween is a Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020!
Our 35th Year.
Charlestown Monument Square Halloween Committee
Great, Creative ideas
Long-term lease negotiations seem to be coming to a close between the Boston Planning and Development Agency (BPDA) and Massport on the use and community benefits of a portion (“the annex”) of the Little Mystic Channel, a hidden section of Boston’s waterfront between Charlestown High School and the Tobin Bridge.
Over the past 18 months, we have gathered feedback from over 300 residents through public meetings, an on-line survey, door-to-door canvassing, and focus groups. People had great, creative ideas for improving public benefits during and following this negotiation. Little Mystic Channel residents wanted to see a green buffer between their homes and the Autoport, including improvements to an existing community garden. Many residents wanted pedestrian/bike trails to connect Ryan Playground with the Little Mystic Channel and the Boston Harborwalk. Others wanted a great neighborhood park around Little Mystic Channel, including a completed loop trail and access to the water.
We hope that the results will both support the working port and help realize a community vision of creating and connecting outstanding public open space for the thousands of residents who live and work nearby. This will also provide the added benefit of an active transportation network to reduce traffic congestion and support healthy mobility. This is a great opportunity to support the continued success of the working port and create new and revitalized parks and paths for Charlestown residents and visitors.
Amber Christoffersen, Mystic River Watershed Association
On behalf of: Boston Harbor Now, Friends of the Boston Harborwalk, LivableStreets Alliance, WalkBoston
A Wonderful Celebration
The Friends of the Training Field would like to thank so many people for a wonderful Halloween celebration in the Training Field on Sunday, Nov. 3. While the original event had to be canceled on Halloween, the Sunday celebration was no less magical.
Hundreds of children, families and neighbors enjoyed the fun and it’s exactly what we’re trying to do in getting more people to come down to the Training Field.
We want to especially thank Dougie MacDonald and his workers for providing the inflatables and doing so much work to decorate the Training Field. We also want to thank Officer Luongo for providing a safe, police presence at the event.
We wish to acknowledge everyone who pitched in to help and create such a wonderful event on the Training Field.
Billy Kelly, president
Friends of the Training Field