Construction Look-Ahead: September 05 – September 09, 2021
This is a brief overview of construction operations and impacts for the North Washington Street Bridge Replacement Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
• The planned closure of the entire marine channel below the NWSB is currently scheduled for the first week of October. The closure will assist in installing structural steel for the new bridge deck. Once implemented, the closure will require 5 working days and will likely take place for one business week (Monday – Friday).
• Following the full closure there will be smaller, half channel closures to install elements of a new bridge deck throughout the month of October.
• The exact timing of the full closure is still under review by the United States Coast Guard and the Massachusetts State Police Marine Unit. More information regarding the closure will be provided in the look-ahead issued following Labor Day.
Slip Lane Closure Rescheduled
• The previous planned closure of the slip lane from North Washington Street to Chelsea Street has been rescheduled to mid-September. The space that was used for the slip lane will be converted into part of the work zone. The exact timing of this operation has not yet been finalized.
• The removal of this lane is part of the build conditions of the new North Washington Street Bridge, so the shutdown represents a milestone on the way to the finished project.
• Nonetheless, MassDOT and its project team have kept the slip lane in place as long as possible as a way to help clear the single northbound (towards City Square) lane on the North Washington Street temporary bridge. The project team will be watching traffic operations in the next few days to ensure that vehicles keep moving as the new work zone is established.
Description of Scheduled Work
• Building the piers:
Pier 1 (closest to the North End): Stripping Formwork
Pier 2: Install precast beams, post tensioning, remove cofferdam sheeting
Pier 3: Post tensioning
Pier 4: Complete
Pier 5 (closest to Charlestown): Complete
Installing, moving, and maintaining silt curtains and barges in the water
• Installing temporary bents for steel erection
• Warehouse Pier and column repairs
• Steel erection on-going
• Most work will be done during the daytime (6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Work That Has Been Completed
• Prior to 9/05
Pier 1: Final concrete placement
Pier 2: V-arm Formwork removal
Pier 3: Cofferdam sheet removal
The sidewalk over the temporary bridge and the Lovejoy Wharf stairs near Converse are open. The Boston Harborwalk under the bridge and eastern/harborside bridge sidewalk remain closed until rebuilt.
The Tudor Wharf Walkway (under the bridge next to the water in Paul Revere Park) will be intermittently closed for safety during construction operations, with access provided via the Water Street underpass.
Drivers should take care to pay attention to all signage and move carefully through the work zone. Police details, lane markings, temporary barriers, traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used to control traffic and create safe work zones.